Baby, it’s cold outside, but that doesn’t mean your skin needs to suffer! As winter approaches, you need to be mindful of your skincare routine. It’s hard to think “tis’ the season to be jolly” when you’re figuring out how to alleviate your dry and itchy skin, right?
Not a problem! The Dermatology Center for Skin Health, PLLC, is here to guide you to help you winterize your skincare routine. Read below to find out more.
WHAT TRIGGERS YOUR DRY SKIN DURING THE COLD MONTHS?
Dry skin, or dermatitis, can cause scaling, itching and cracking, and it can affect any area of your body. Certain weather conditions, like cold temperatures, cause your skin to dry out. Factors like age, medical history, weather and bathing habits put you more at-risk to accumulating the uncomfortable dry skin if you don’t take care of yourself properly.
Below you’ll find a list of factors that prompt your dry skin when it’s cold outside:
- Less heat and moisture in the air causes low humidity levels.
- Loss of natural oils on your skin due to the cold temperatures outside.
- Using the wrong type of moisturizer.
- Uncomfortable, itchy fabrics, especially for those with sensitive skin, can rub against your skin, irritating.
- Overdressing can lead to overheating and sweating.
- Using too much soap causes your skin to dry out.
- Your water temperature is too hot when you shower and wash your hands.
- Exposure to harsh chemicals leads to dryness.
- Natural process of aging.
- Chapped lips are a result of the cold air affecting your skin, as they also need to be moisturized.
Good news - it is preventable and treatable. Follow our steps to get your skin healthy and glowing in no time for the holiday season.
IS THIS ACTUALLY DRY SKIN OR SOMETHING ELSE?
Additional skin diseases can be a factor in causing dry skin-like characteristics. The question remains - is it dry skin or another condition?
- Eczema - A rash-like skin condition that can be seen anywhere on the body. It causes a person’s skin to be red and itchy. When scratched, the skin becomes inflamed and redder. There are different types of eczema. Dryness can be an effect of eczema found on the hands.
- Psoriasis - Causing red, raised and dry, scaly patches on the skin, psoriasis is an immune-mediated inflammatory disease (IMID). It can be classified in three ways: mild, moderate and severe. This condition is typically associated with health conditions such as diabetes, heart disease and depression.
Other common skin problems can arise and be mistaken as just being dry skin. From dehydration to using the incorrect skin care products during the right time of the year, dry skin can evolve. Regardless, if you have questions on a skin condition you’ve developed, don’t hesitate to give us a call today.
Our professional and knowledgeable staff has treated conditions from rosacea, wrinkles, acne and skin cancer. We’ve managed it all, and we’ll continue to do so to ensure you are happy with healthy skin.
TAKE CARE OF YOUR SKIN WITH THESE 6 TIPS
- Maximize moisture with a humidifier.
- Reduce your shower time and lower the water temperature.
- Eat right and stay hydrated. Dehydrated skin can be an effect of lacking water or not eating a nutritious and balanced meal. Eat more foods like blueberries, sweet potatoes and walnuts to fight dry skin and inflammation.
- Don’t go out in the cold with wet skin. More likely for skin to chap more frequently.
- Exfoliate less. However, when you exfoliate, use chemical exfoliants.
- Use toners and astringents sparingly.
- Use the right products (We’ve got you covered - see below for recommendations!). Don’t use products that use alcohol and fragrances to help skin retain its natural oils.
PRODUCTS TO HELP YOU RELIEVE YOUR DRY SKIN
Your guide to a winter skincare routine from our team of experts:
You’re going to want a gentle, fragrance-free cleanser. Our Ultra Gentle Cleanser gently cleanses while providing hydration for the skin. This product is excellent for all skin types and contains the following benefits:
- Removes oil and makeup without drying skin
- Enriched with calming and soothing antioxidants
- Retains moisture
- pH balanced
This product is critical to aid in wrinkle reduction and to build a solid skincare regimen, especially when the temperature drops. It’s essential to find the right kind geared towards your specific skincare goals this winter. Avoid scented lotions and any products containing alcohol - as this can increase dryness. Use a moisturizer on your face at night to maintain hydration and that healthy glow.
We carry a few moisturizers, one of which is our Glycolic Urea 15-15 Cream. This uses the natural pairing of ultra-pure crystalline glycolic acid and antioxidants. These ingredients provide an intense moisturization and replenishment for severely dry skin. The cream contains the following benefits:
- Exfoliates dead skin
- Loosens and removes scales
- Moisturizes the skin
Hand cream should be used after each washing to minimize drying your skin out. Use our EltaMD UV Lotion from head to toe to hydrate the skin and protect against sun damage.
Benefits of our product:
- 7.0% transparent zinc oxide
- Antioxidant protection fights skin-aging free radicals from ultraviolet and infrared radiation
- Moisturizing lotion for the whole body
- UVA/UVB sun protection
- Fragrance-free, paraben-free, sensitivity-free and noncomedogenic
Yes - even in the winter! Apply sunscreen on bright winter days due to snow reflecting from the sun’s rays. Your exposure to UV rays goes up to 80 percent, which increases your risk of worsened skin conditions, more than dryness. Apply a moisturizing, broad-spectrum sunscreen with SPF of 15+ to all exposed areas of the body.
We offer Antioxidant Moisturizing Sunscreen with a sheer, broad-spectrum UVA/UVB SPF 50+ sunscreen that delivers ultra-light, non-whitening protection. Benefits of this sunscreen include:
- Moisturizing formula with powerful hydration
- Antioxidant enriched to provide exceptional broad-spectrum
- UVA/UVB protection and quench free radicals
We provide lip treatment for our patients. This multi-functional cosmetic treatment restores hydration and volume. A complex of stimulating ingredients creates such a beautiful and natural color. Your lips will immediately appear more plump and rosy.
The lasting benefits of lip hydration and overall health from our cosmetic procedure include the following:
- Hyaluronic Acid draw and seal in moisture
- Palmitoyl Tripeptide-38 supports healthy collagen production
- Ceramides, herbal vitamins and conditioners contribute essential nourishment to replenish the skin barrier
- Broad-spectrum SPF 30 shields from UVA/UVB and free radical damage to improve long term lip health (1020 ONLY)
Use a serum to help with moisturizing and anti-aging benefits. We offer a Pure Hydration Hyaluronic Acid Serum. Our nourishing serum quenches dehydrated skin to impart a supple, smooth complexion and instant correction. This universal booster provides all-day moisture retention and visibly reduces the signs of aging with a nourishing blend of antioxidants. Skin appears brighter, firmer and rejuvenated.
- Supports healthy collagen production
- Conditions skin and reduces excess oil
- Guards against free radical damage
The use of eye cream provides many skin-hydrating and anti-aging benefits for you during the colder months. Our Enriched Retinol Eye Cream is a clinically proven eye treatment cream that visibly reduces the appearance of under-eye dark circles, fine lines and more.
- Heighten firmness and elasticity
- 90 percent Green Tea Polyphenols and a blend of antioxidants soothe the skin while satisfying free radicals
- Peptides maintain lymphatic drainage and tissue fluid balance while serving to enhance skin firmness and elasticity
- Vitamin K and Arnica aid to diminish the appearance of bruising and discoloration
Find out more about our products by downloading our free Guide to Cosmetic Procedures here:
LET US TAKE CARE OF YOUR DRY SKIN THIS WINTER
Combat dry skin this winter season with our help. The Dermatology Center for Skin Health, PLLC provides skin care services for all ages. We want you to stay hydrated, moisturized and healthy. With our priority to deliver quality and informed care, we also wish to provide you with a comfortable and convenient setting.
For additional questions about dry skin, products and cosmetic procedures that we offer, make a consultation appointment today. We look forward to hearing from you!