Niacinamide is an effective skincare ingredient that is gaining popularity because of its desirable benefits and versatility across different skin types. And while you may not have heard of niacinamide until today, it is not a new ingredient. This dermatologist-approved ingredient is well-loved, and it has been a staple in a variety of skin care products for years. Continue reading to learn more about niacinamide and what benefits it has to offer your skin.
WHAT IS NIACINAMIDE?
There are two forms of vitamin B-3. One form is called niacinamide, and the other form is called niacin. But despite their similar-sounding names, niacinamide and niacin are not the same things. Your body can make niacinamide from niacin if there is an excessive amount of niacin in your body.
Our bodies do not naturally produce niacinamide. Niacinamide is a water-soluble vitamin found in various foods, including yeast, meat, fish, milk, eggs, green vegetables, beans, and cereal grains. Additionally, it can be found in many vitamin B complex supplements with other B vitamins.
HOW DOES NIACINAMIDE BENEFIT THE SKIN?
Niacinamide is a powerhouse and multitasker when it comes to the skin care benefits it offers. It can be used to treat a wide range of skin conditions, works on virtually every skin type and helps support the function of the skin barrier.
Some of the most notable benefits of niacinamide for skin include:
- Retains moisture in the skin by reducing water loss from the skin
- Increases production of keratin, a protein that keeps the skin healthy and firm
- Stimulates production of ceramide, a lipid that helps protect the skin barrier
- Reduces inflammation, therefore, minimizes redness and blotchiness
- Minimizes pore appearance
- Regulates oil production
- Treats dark spots
- Protects against sun damage
- Minimizes fine lines and wrinkles
- Protects against environmental stresses, such as sunlight, pollution and toxins
- When taken orally, it is chemopreventive against skin cancer
WHAT SHOULD I LOOK FOR ON PRODUCT LABELS?
Although pure niacinamide serum has some benefits, you are more likely to get optimal results if you use niacinamide alongside other active ingredients such as hyaluronic acid and ceramides. Skin care products can be complicated, and they should be formulated to work synergistically together to provide desired results. Therefore, be sure to use medical-grade products and consult with your dermatologist when introducing new products into your skin care routine.
- Elta MD UV Clear SPF 46: This oil-free SPF helps to calm and protect sensitive skin types prone to breakouts, rosacea and discoloration. It contains niacinamide (vitamin B3), hyaluronic acid and lactic acid, ingredients that promote healthy-looking skin.
- Elta MD UV Tinted SPF 46: This oil-free tinted SPF helps calm and protect sensitive skin types prone to breakouts, rosacea and discoloration. It contains niacinamide (vitamin B3), hyaluronic acid and lactic acid, ingredients that promote the appearance of healthy-looking skin.
- Clear Protection SPF 45: This lightweight SPF contains an innovative blend of active ingredients to protect the skin from multiple extrinsic factors known to cause premature aging, including UVA, UVB & Infrared Radiation. This fast-absorbing SPF also features a high level of niacinamide to promote a smoother, clearer complexion.
- Tinted Clear SPF 46: This oil-free SPF is universally tinted and lightweight. It is ideal for oily and acne-prone skin and contains an innovative blend of skin soothing and restoring properties. It features niacinamide, which can help reduce redness and irritation found within the skin.
- The Liquid Filler: This product employs multiple revolutionary active ingredients and is clinically proven to deliver equivalent results to one injection of collagen filler in just two weeks of regular use. The combination of copper, proline, lysine, hyaluronic acid, and niacinamide triggers energy production in the mitochondria of the senescent fibroblast, safely reactivating collagen I, collagen III and elastin production. The result is a painless, topical alternative to injectable fillers and toxins.
- Purifying Cleanser: A unique sulfate and paraben-free formula, this product is specially formulated with the perfect balance of salicylic acid and skin nourishing botanicals. It is also formulated with niacinamide to reduce redness and improve the overall look of the skin.
HOW SOON CAN YOU EXPECT TO SEE RESULTS?
As with any new skin care product, you will not see significant results overnight. It will probably take several weeks. You might start seeing results as early as four weeks, but most likely, it will be around eight weeks. Around that time, you should notice that your skin looks smoother, more toned and more hydrated. If you notice any signs of an allergic reaction, you should consult with your dermatologist as soon as possible.
LEARN MORE AT THE DERMATOLOGY CENTER FOR SKIN HEALTH, PLLC
Niacinamide is only one of many ingredients in a skincare regimen. When used topically and in combination with other skin care products, niacinamide has a positive impact on your overall skin health. This versatile ingredient is ideal for individuals with acne, rosacea, hyperpigmented skin, dry skin and sensitive skin. It can help reduce inflammation and hyperpigmentation, smooth skin texture, and brighten the skin. If you are unsure of how to incorporate niacinamide into your skin care routine or have any other skin-related questions, give us a call at (304) 598-3888 or click here. We look forward to hearing from you!