While moisturizing your skin may feel like just another step in your skin care regime, using a moisturizer each day is a must — no matter what skin type you have. Moisturizers act as protective barriers for your skin, and they help keep your skin healthy and hydrated. They also help give your skin a more youthful appearance as they fight against wrinkles. Continue reading to learn more about why moisturizing your skin is necessary.
WHY USE A MOISTURIZER?
Moisturizing your skin every day can reduce your chance of developing dry or oily skin — both of which can cause acne. Moisturizers work by creating a seal on the surface of your skin that blocks water from escaping. This can help your skin feel smoother and be less dry, which is essential during the cold, winter months!
Water by itself is not a substitute for moisturizer. It evaporates quickly and can strip the natural oils from your skin. In fact, the more you wash your face without applying a moisturizer afterward, the more dried out your skin will become.
HOW DO YOU PROPERLY MOISTURIZE YOUR SKIN?
When applying moisturizer to your face, do so while your skin is still damp — such as a few minutes after a bath or shower. Use a circular motion and gently pat the moisturizer into your skin. The massaging effect will help stimulate blood flow and encourage new cell generation. Also, be sure to apply your moisturizer with upward strokes to reduce skin sagging. Moisturize your skin twice a day — once in the morning and once at night for optimal results.
WHAT ARE SOME OF THE KEY INGREDIENTS TO LOOK FOR IN A MOISTURIZER?
When choosing a moisturizer, you should make sure it suits your skin type. For example, if you have oily skin choose one that is oil-free. For acne skin, look for the terms “non-comedogenic” and “will not clog pores” on the container. Additionally, for dry sensitive skin, you should avoid scented lotions and products containing alcohol — as they further dry out the skin.
Some ingredients to look for based on your skin type include:
- Sun Protection: No matter what skin type you have, you should use a moisturizer with an SPF 30 (or greater) each day or layer your moisturizer with an SPF if it does not include one.
- Antioxidants: Antioxidants neutralize free radicals and help the skin look fresh and healthy. Some examples of antioxidants include green tea, chamomile, licorice root and pomegranate.
- Acne-Prone or Oily Skin: If you have acne-prone or oily skin, you should look for an oil-free, non-comedogenic moisturizer that won’t clog your pores. Alpha-hydroxy acids work well for acne-prone or oily skin, and they have the added benefit of helping with anti-aging.
- Dry Skin: If you have dry skin, hyaluronic acid and dimethicone will help keep your skin hydrated. If you want to attract additional water to your skin, look for ingredients like glycerin, propylene glycol, proteins and urea.
- Sensitive Skin: If you have sensitive skin, you should look for a moisturizer that contains less than 10 ingredients to avoid interactions with your skin. Your moisturizer should be hypoallergenic and fragrance-free.
- Eczema: If you have eczema, you should look for a moisturizer that is fragrance-free, perfume-free and dye-free. And rather than a lightweight lotion, you should choose a thick moisturizer or ointment.
Finally, moisturizing products that contain ingredients like retinol and vitamin C will help increase your skin’s production of collagen and elastin, which will help keep it looking toned and firm.
WHICH MOISTURIZER IS BEST FOR YOUR SKIN TYPE?
No matter what skin type you have, whether it be dry, normal, sensitive or even acne-prone, you need to be sure to moisturize it each day. Here are a few of our recommended products that we offer below:
- If your skin is dry, you should look for a moisturizer that comes in a thicker form or ointment. Our Fortified Facial Cream nourishes and repairs the skin while protecting it from free radical damage. It is excellent for the dry skin patient who requires a heavier yet elegant moisturizer. HA collagen booster
- If your skin is normal, you should choose a cream to hydrate and rejuvenate the skin. Our Powerhouse Cream contains human growth factors, a peptide complex, antioxidants and other skin-restorative ingredients. Other elements help to replenish the skin's fatty acids, which are needed for hydration. This cream leaves the skin feeling soft and smooth and helps restore the skin’s youthful appearance.
- If your skin is oily, you should look for a gentle moisturizing option that will not cause breakouts. Our Glycol 10% Face Cream gently exfoliates dead and dull skin cells to deliver a smoother, brighter, healthier-looking complexion. It contains antioxidants that nourish the skin while protecting from free radicals, and it works excellent as a day and night cream. Our Ultra Lite Hyaluronic Serum contains Hyaluronic Acid, which is a naturally occurring glycosaminoglycan that rehydrates, smoothes, tones and restores elasticity to the skin. It deeply moisturizes the skin without feeling oily.
If you are interested in learning more about our products, view our online store here.
You can base the thickness of your moisturizer on where it is being applied to the body. For example, you could use a thicker cream on your body and a more lightweight moisturizer on your face (depending on your skin type and skin care needs). But remember, what works on your body, does not always work on your face. If you have any questions about choosing a moisturizer for your face or body, you should consult with your dermatologist.
VISIT YOUR DERMATOLOGIST | THE DERMATOLOGY CENTER FOR SKIN HEALTH, PLLC
Moisturizing your skin is not an optional step in your skin care routine. It is essential to keeping your skin healthy, hydrated and breakout free. It also helps ensure that you will have beautiful skin for years to come. If you have any questions about any of our moisturizers or what moisturizer is best for your skin type, give us a call at (304) 598-3888 or click here. We are currently accepting new patients and encourage you to make your appointment soon. We look forward to hearing from you!