WHAT ARE NEUROTOXINS?
A neurotoxin is a Food and Drug Administration (FDA) approved, technique-sensitive treatment derived from clostridium botulinum. This treatment relaxes the muscles and can treat moderate to severe frown lines.
Examples of neurotoxin treatments include:
Continue reading to learn more about neurotoxins, such as Botox and Dysport.
WHAT TO EXPECT BEFORE, DURING AND AFTER THE PROCEDURE
Neurotoxins are manufactured in state-of-the-art facilities and have strict quality and safety standards.
Men and women can receive neurotoxin treatments. Those who should not receive this treatment include:
- Women who are pregnant or breastfeeding
- Those who have a neurological disease
- Individuals who have an allergy to albumin
- Individuals who have infections, skin conditions or weakness in the area being treated
Before the Procedure
Before the procedure, your dermatologist will sit down with you to discuss your skin care goals and needs. From this consultation, your dermatologist will determine the:
- Appropriate and customized treatment for the areas you want to address
- Amount of treatments needed for the area(s)
Additionally, your dermatologist will remind you that neurotoxins are not permanent, and you will need to continue treatments.
The good news is that this procedure will deliver high-quality results when you receive treatment from a licensed dermatologist.
During the Procedure
This procedure should last 10-minutes. Your dermatologist may numb the area with ice or topical numbing cream.
Your dermatologist will begin injecting the treatment areas:
- Crow's feet - Your dermatologist will inject areas of the muscle that frames the side of the eye.
- Frown lines - Your dermatologist will administer injections into the muscles between your brows and on your forehead.
- Forehead lines - Your dermatologist will administer injections into a muscle in your forehead.
After the Procedure
The good news is that the neurotoxin treatment has minimal downtime. Patients can return to their daily routines immediately and will begin noticing results within two weeks.
Results can vary by patient but will last up to four months. Your dermatologist will recommend your follow-up appointment based on your goals.
HOW CAN MY DERMATOLOGIST HELP?
If you have questions or concerns about a neurotoxin treatment, please talk with your dermatologist. Dr. Maouad and Dr. Gharib have extensive experience with a variety of neurotoxins.
Our staff is dedicated to keeping up-to-date with the most advanced procedures and patient education. If Botox/Neurotoxins sounds like a treatment you would be interested in and would like a consultation please contact us.
Dermatology Center for Skin Health, PLLC
600 Suncrest Towne Centre Suite 115
Morgantown, WV 26505
Our office is located on the ground floor of the 600 Suncrest Towne Centre Building. Please enter through the middle doors on the front of the building. The Dermatology Center for Skin Health, PLLC entrance is located just inside the building-first door on the right.