WHAT ARE DERMAL FILLERS?
Dermal fillers are gel-like substances injected beneath the skin used to restore youthful volume in the face. Dermal fillers can:
- Plump thin lips
- Enhance shallow contours
- Soften facial creases and wrinkles
- Improve the appearance of recessed scars
- Decrease the shadow of lower lids
- Increase volume in the face
There are different types of dermal fillers; each differs in chemical makeup, longevity and has varying degrees of softness. At the Dermatology Center for Skin Health, PLLC, we offer four types of fillers, including:
- Hyaluronic Acid (HA), a natural substance found in your skin, helps to maintain plumpness and hydration.
- Calcium Hydroxylapatite (CaHA) is a natural substance found in our bones, and as a filler is reported to stimulate collagen production.
- Poly-L-lactic Acid is a safe, biodegradable synthetic substance, and is considered a collagen stimulator.
- Polymethylmethacrylate (PMMA) is a safe synthetic substance used in medication for the last century. These fillers contain collagen to help provide structure and support. The PMMA microspheres form a scaffold to support the production of endogenous collagen to maintain volume and natural-looking results long term.
It’s important to note that dermal fillers are temporary and ongoing treatment is necessary for long-lasting results.
BEFORE, DURING AND AFTER THE PROCEDURE
Dermal filler injections are typically non-surgical and take place during an office visit. Dermal fillers are often used to rejuvenate your face with a youthful look. At the Dermatology Center for Skin Health, PLLC, we believe injecting fillers is an art that requires experience. That’s why it’s highly important that you find a skilled dermatologist for your dermal filler procedure.
Unlike botulinum toxins such as Botox, Dysport or Xeomin, dermal fillers won’t affect your facial expression or motion of your facial muscles. If you find a dermatologist who injects your dermal fillers properly, they will look natural to the eye.
Your treatment will begin with a consultation. During this consultation, you will meet with your dermatologist to discuss your goals and any questions or concerns you may have about the procedure.
During the Procedure
Just before your treatment, the area will be cleaned, and you may be given a topical anesthetic to numb the area before injection. Also, many filler products contain lidocaine, a numbing medication, which minimizes discomfort during and after the treatment. Your provider will then inject an amount of filler strategically beneath the skin.
After the Procedure
You may notice results right away depending on the product used and the areas treated. Some patients report mild bruising and swelling, but these effects are temporary and will go away in the following days.
Recovery time varies for each patient, depending on which filler was used. The patient can resume most normal activities immediately following the treatment; however, it is recommended not to participate in strenuous exercise for 24 to 48 hours to reduce swelling and bruising. It will also prevent the migration of the product.
HOW CAN MY DERMATOLOGIST HELP?
At the Dermatology Center for Skin Health, PLLC, our doctors perform all dermal fillers. Dr. Maouad and Dr. Gharib have extensive experience with a variety of dermal fillers, which reduces the risk of side effects and increases patient satisfaction with proper product recommendations and placement.