WHAT IS ECZEMA/DERMATITIS?
Eczema/dermatitis is a rash-like skin condition that can show symptoms anywhere on the body. This condition can cause an individual's skin to be red and itchy. If scratched, the skin will become inflamed.
Continue reading to learn more about the causes of eczema and how to ease your symptoms.
Ready to treat your Eczema? Request an appointment today.
WHAT ARE THE DIFFERENT TYPES OF ECZEMA/DERMATITIS?
There are multiple types of eczema/dermatitis, including:
- Atopic dermatitis
- Irritant contact dermatitis
- Allergic contact dermatitis
- Dry skin/xerosis
- Nummular dermatitis
- Seborrheic dermatitis and dandruff
- Stasis dermatitis
- Neurodermatitis/Lichen Simplex Chronicus
TREATMENT OF ECZEMA/DERMATITIS
During your appointment, your dermatologist will determine what type of eczema you have and recommend the right course of treatment, including:
- Reducing the number of times you bathe: If you shower or bathe with extremely hot water, a dermatologist may recommend replacing it with lukewarm water, as well as using a non-foaming cleanser.
- Wearing breathable clothing: Avoid clothes that are tight, non-breathable and itchy as it can irritate the affected area.
- Protecting your skin: Replace your detergents if they are harsh on your skin.
- Using moisturizers: Apply products that aid in water loss recovery; avoid fragrant products.
- Taking prescribed medications: Depending on the severity of your eczema, your dermatologist may recommend topical steroid medications, anti-inflammatory topical medication such as Pimecrolimus/tacrolimus cream/ointment, a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory called Crisaborole or antihistamines.
- Participating in other treatments: This could include photodynamic light therapy, oral immunosuppressant therapies and more.
HOW CAN MY DERMATOLOGIST HELP?
We understand that it can be frustrating to live with eczema. The Dermatology Center for Skin Health, PLLC, wants to do everything possible to help you know what is causing your eczema and provide treatment.