WHAT IS ECZEMA/DERMATITIS?
Eczema/dermatitis is a rash-like skin condition that can show symptoms anywhere on the body. This condition can cause an individual's skin to be red and itchy. If scratched, the skin will become inflamed.
Continue reading to learn more about the causes of eczema and how to ease your symptoms.
WHAT ARE THE DIFFERENT TYPES OF ECZEMA/DERMATITIS?
There are multiple types of eczema/dermatitis, including:
- Atopic dermatitis
- Irritant contact dermatitis
- Allergic contact dermatitis
- Dry skin/xerosis
- Nummular dermatitis
- Seborrheic dermatitis and dandruff
- Stasis dermatitis
- Neurodermatitis/Lichen Simplex Chronicus
TREATMENT OF ECZEMA/DERMATITIS
During your appointment, your dermatologist will determine what type of eczema you have and recommend the right course of treatment, including:
- Reducing the number of times you bathe: If you shower or bathe with extremely hot water, a dermatologist may recommend replacing it with lukewarm water, as well as using a non-foaming cleanser.
- Wearing breathable clothing: Avoid clothes that are tight, non-breathable and itchy as it can irritate the affected area.
- Protecting your skin: Replace your detergents if they are harsh on your skin.
- Using moisturizers: Apply products that aid in water loss recovery; avoid fragrant products.
- Taking prescribed medications: Depending on the severity of your eczema, your dermatologist may recommend topical steroid medications, anti-inflammatory topical medication such as Pimecrolimus/tacrolimus cream/ointment, a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory called Crisaborole or antihistamines.
- Participating in other treatments: This could include photodynamic light therapy, oral immunosuppressant therapies and more.
Our staff is dedicated to keeping up-to-date with the most advanced procedures and patient education. If your are experiencing signs and or symptoms of eczema and would like a consultation please contact us.
Dermatology Center for Skin Health, PLLC
600 Suncrest Towne Centre Suite 115
Morgantown, WV 26505
Our office is located on the ground floor of the 600 Suncrest Towne Centre Building. Please enter through the middle doors on the front of the building. The Dermatology Center for Skin Health, PLLC entrance is located just inside the building-first door on the right.