WHAT IS MICRONEEDLING?
Microneedling is a cosmetic procedure that allows tiny needles to create controlled micro-injuries to the skin.The skin's repair process results in a thicker epidermis and a softer appearance to the affected area. This aids in collagen and elastin production, effectively treating fine lines, wrinkles, hyperpigmentation, acne scars, and raised scars.
To learn more about the microneedling procedure, as well as the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) cleared tool we use, continue reading below.
MICRONEEDLING AT THE DERMATOLOGY CENTER FOR SKIN HEALTH, PLLC
At the Dermatology Center for Skin Health, PLLC, we use a minimally invasive, non-ablative option to rejuvenate our customers' skin, the SkinPen® developed by Bellus Medical. This tool penetrates the skin at a 90-degree angle, which creates hundreds of small, vertical routes to the dermis. This allows the skin's natural healing factor to be triggered. Additionally, Bellus Medical paired this tool with SkinFuse Lift HG; a topical gel used to lubricate and hydrate the skin before and after your microneedling procedure.
The SkinPen® is the only microneedling tool to receive a De Novo clearance as a Class II medical device by the FDA. This type of clearance provides consumers with assurance of safety and effectiveness for devices with no marketed predicate device.
Benefits of the SkinPen® include:
- Little Downtime: Many patients can return to work the next day.
- Safe and Secure: This is the first FDA-cleared microneedling device.
- Ninety Percent Patient Satisfaction: Clinical trial subjects said they would recommend this to a friend or family member.
- Natural Skin Healing Process: This tool creates a softer appearance to the area affected.
Individuals aged 22 or older are perfect candidates for this treatment. Those who have the following conditions should not use this tool:
- Active skin cancer in the affected areas
- Open wounds, sores or irritated skin in the affected area
- An allergy to stainless steel
- A bleeding disorder or dysfunction
- Women who are pregnant or nursing
For individuals currently taking Isotretinoin (Accutane), we recommend waiting six months before scheduling your SkinPen® treatment.
BEFORE, DURING AND AFTER THE PROCEDURE
During your consultation, your dermatologist will talk with you about your skin health goals. Depending on the treatment area, as well as size, they may recommend three treatments spaced between four to six weeks.
To optimize your treatment results, your clinical technician will give you instructions before, during and after your treatment.
Before the Procedure
Prior to beginning your treatment, your provider will recommend that you:
- Avoid the sun for 24-hours to minimize your skin burning
- Don't use topical retinoids for 24-hours
- Stop treating breakouts or lesions
- Allow for a 24-hour gap between autoimmune treatments and your microneedling treatment
Please note that pigment in the skin may darken before lightning for individuals who are on the Fitzpatrick scale IV-VI.
During the Procedure
During your 30-minute treatment, your clinical technician will ask that you sign a consent form. Additionally, they may request that you take pictures of the treatment area.
Then, to administer the treatment, your technician will:
- Cleanse your face; this will remove makeup or debris, sunscreen and oils.
- Apply a numbing agent to the treatment area; this area can't be touched for 30 minutes as it sets.
- Wipe your face to remove the numbing agent.
- Apply a thin layer of SkinFuse Lift HG to protect your skin from any abrasions or friction that may be caused during treatment.
- Start treatment on the affected area.
After the Procedure
Once your treatment is finished, your provider will wipe the treated area with a saline solution, and then apply an additional layer of SkinFuse Lift HG. You will also receive a supply of the SkinFuse Rescue gel to apply to your skin one day after treatment.
During this time, you must stay hydrated so your skin can regain the water it lost during this treatment. For the first 12 hours after treatment, avoid sun exposure and sweaty exercise. No application of any non-medical grade cream for the first 12 hours.
You may notice your skin becoming slightly pink or red; this is normal. Other typical adverse effects that resolve over time without any complications include:
- Dry or rough skin
HOW CAN MY DERMATOLOGIST HELP?
At the Dermatology Center for Skin Health, PLLC, we are dedicated to finding the most up-to-date education and tools to treat our patients. Additionally, our office is experienced in handling microneedling treatments. Additionally, we are using the most advanced microneedling device on the market.
Our staff is dedicated to keeping up-to-date with the most advanced procedures and patient education. If microneedling sounds like a treatment you would be interested in and would like a consultation please contact us.
Dermatology Center for Skin Health, PLLC
600 Suncrest Towne Centre Suite 115
Morgantown, WV 26505
Our office is located on the ground floor of the 600 Suncrest Towne Centre Building. Please enter through the middle doors on the front of the building. The Dermatology Center for Skin Health, PLLC entrance is located just inside the building-first door on the right.
You can also text us to make an appointment.
To communicate with us from a mobile phone click the button below or send a text to the number.